Sunday 26 May 2013

Raw Banana Bread


Right from the start, I want to write that when I make this again, I won't use as much milled flax seed. I think I used enough flax for making it with a dozen bananas! This batch is good, the bee pollen adds a nice touch. I had the intention of putting coconut oil too but I forgot!

Dehydrated so they are still soft, these do resemble bread in texture. When I make this again, I will also add dates or raisins because it is not as sweet as I had expected. Perhaps more nutmeg too.


This raw banana bread will taste amazing with a cup of mocha healthy coffee!


Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup milled flax seed
  • 1/3 cup whole chia seed
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp agave nectar (can also use maple syrup or honey although not raw)
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup hemp hearts
  • 6 ripe bananas, fresh or frozen 
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • vanilla bean (or vanilla extract)
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • a handful of pine nuts
  • 1Tbsp nutmeg and/or cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp bee pollen (optional)
  • sprinkle of maca (optional)



In a bowl which you can later cover with a lid, stir together the flax, chia, agave, nutmeg and vanilla puree. If you don't have dry vanilla bean, use some liquid extract.

I had never used vanilla beans or pods before, this was given to me by my sister Melissa (as well as the lovely flowering plant) I used the whole thing.

  
With a touch of water, blend the vanilla bean, scraping the edges down, repeat and add a handful of pine nuts to weigh down the liquid.
Blend until it looks like this:
Peel the bananas, I used frozen, and process (My food processor was a better tool than my blender for this step) with a touch of lemon juice.

Mix the banana cream in with the seed mixture and let sit in the fridge, covered, for at least an hour for the seeds to absorb any available moisture from the sweet fruit.

In a large bowl, place the coconut, hemp, bee pollen and maca (if using). Throw in your big banana ball and mix. You will easily form coconut coated balls or patties with your hands. Dehydrate at 105F for 5 to 6 hours. The look of this food will not change much from before to after the dehydrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment