Saturday 10 August 2013

I can't believe it's not caramel

I worked up an appetite sorting my clothing this afternoon. Back at my pre-maternity weight, some clothes are due to be given away and the smaller outfits need to be hung up again. Not my favorite task but it definitely felt good to fit in some of my nicer pieces again (woo hoo size 2 jeans!)

On a side note, I really owe losing the weight to going gluten free and to following the candida diet.

Last weekend I made crackers but haven't eaten them. I was disappointed in myself, they taste bitter.

Really bitter.


I'm not sure what went wrong exactly but I know I didn't follow my herb cracker recipe as I should have - I used a huge amount of vegetable pulp which included kale from our garden which does taste somewhat bitter. I love dehydrated kale chips so I don't know what happened or if that is the reason since I haven't made chips with the kale we've grown yet. Anyways...

Enough about that, let's just say I was VERY disappointed.


I hadn't touched the crackers all week then today, looking for a quick and filling snack I had one with store-bought organic raspberry jam. It was good!

Yesterday we celebrated Lucas' birthday, he just turned three and I brought home raw cake. The store owner told me it needed to be kept cold because it held together thanks to coconut butter. It was delicious raw cake, full of flavor and with a cheesecake texture. With that on my mind when hunger crept in today, I remembered seeing a recipe online some time ago for date butter.

I took about 1/2 cup coconut oil, 10 soaked pitted dates* a pinch of both sea salt and cinnamon. Blended it all together and the result is genius. I can't believe it's not caramel!

If you try this, you will not regret it! I sat outside on the grass with my caramel-date-butter and ate about 10 large crackers.

I am so happy to have found a way to salvage them!

Have you had a raw culinary disaster you'd like to share in the comments below? Or perhaps a story of a recipe you were able to save? I'd really love to know what happened.


* About dates:
Dates contain essential nutrients, are high in (unprocessed) sugar and moderate amount of protein and lipids as well as: minerals (iron, manganese, copper, zinc, cobalt, sodium potassium, phosphorus, calcium and choline; and vitamins A, C, B complex. Moreover, they contain antioxidants, vitamins and elements that play major roles in prevention of heavy metals toxicity, especially mercury.

No comments:

Post a Comment